Re: /proc/net/netfilter/nf_log boot setup / persistence

Hello,

On Wed, 2014-04-09 at 10:50 +0200, oatech wrote:

> >Subject: Re: /proc/net/netfilter/nf_log boot setup / persistence
> >
> >Bonjour,
> >
> >On Sun, 2014-04-06 at 18:24 +0200, oatech wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi
> >>
> >> I manage to change the /proc/net/netfilter/nf_log flags using echo >
> >> /process/sys/netfilter/nf_log/ ...
> >> ( For IPv6 nflogging )
> >>
> >> But it gets deleted at reboot.
> >> Worse, using a boot-time script fails ( the flags get overwritten )
> >> Using /etc/sysctl.conf doesn't seem to work.
> >
> >I fear your firewall script is running after sysctl.conf settings are
> >installed. Usually the firewall script is triggering the loading of
> >logging modules.
> >
> >> I end up using a 1minute cron job that rewrites the flags each minute.
> >>
> >> Is there a better way ? Or a sysctl.conf kind config file ?
> >
> >The most handy way can be to load the Netfilter modules at start For
> >example by putting them in /etc/modules (at least for debian). Then when
> >sysctl settings will be evaluated you should get a working config.
> >
> >> Thanks  :-)
> >
> >You're welcome (if my suggestion works) ;)
> >
> >BR,
> >--
> >Eric . <eric@.>
>
> Hi
>
> Thanks for the answer
> I'm not a Linux Sysadmin ( I'm a network admin mostly, just using Linux
> networking daemons for learning ) so I tried
> your suggestion but got confused.
> I'm Using Ubuntu Trusty Beta ( almost Debian so ).
> I did found /etc/modules and try to play with it, but just managed
> to breack the whole nflog thing : cat .../netfilter/nflog went totally
> emptied.
> Did reinstall thus ..
>
> Please could someone help me precise what would need to be :
> 1) in /etc/modules

You should add to that file:

xt_NFLOG
xt_LOG

Second line being needed if you use -j LOG target.

> 2) in the firewall start script ( just the main lines ... some modprobes
> maybe ?
> ....)

Here you can add at top modprobe of previously mentioned modules. And do
the sysctl tuning as following step.

BR,
--
Eric Leblond <eric@xxxxxxxxx>