Re: forwarding between subnets

On Fri, Mar 21, 2014 at 03:43:14PM -0700, Bob Miller wrote:
> I have a firewall with 3 network ports; one for internet an
> connection and two for segregated subnets that share the
> internet connection.
>
> I want to allow one computer on one subnetA to reach another
> computer on the other subnetB.  It is not reaching its
> destination.  When problems like this arise, I turn to the
> nf-packet-flow diagram and set up logging rules to make sure
> the packets are going where I think they are.

Good procedure. You can use -j TRACE in -t raw for excruciating
detail, or just -j LOG rules in relevant places in other tables'
chains.

> I have an existing rule in nat/PREROUTING to do SNAT on all
> packets from subnetA --to the internet-facing IP, so I write
> a rule before that to ACCEPT packets from source IP in
> subnetA to dest IP in subnetB.

Why is nat/PREROUTING relevant? Your SNAT rule should limit by
outgoing interface, "-o ethX" for example. Packets from A to B
(including the reverse) should never match your SNAT rule.

> I write two LOG rules to match packets with the dest and place
> one immediately before and immediately after my ACCEPT rule.
> The packet is logged before but not after the ACCEPT rule.  I
> believe this to mean the packet is accepted at nat/PREROUTING
> and should move to the next step in the diagram.

I would concur.

> On the diagram, the next thing is a routing decision, then
> the packet should show up in mangle/INPUT or mangle/FORWARD.
> I again write a log rule to match the dest IP for each of
> mangle/INPUT and mangle/FORWARD. They are the only rules on
> those chains, but the packet is not logged on either chain.

No idea about that. I definitely would not have created a new,
otherwise unused table just to try to track a packet.

> Examining the diagram, the packet is either being dropped down
> into the link layer or the routing decision is doing something
> else with the packet.  I understand that the link layer
> requires ebtables and that is not installed on this firewall,
> so the problem must be the routing decision.

Huh? Did you put any -j LOG rules in filter/FORWARD? Why not?

> If I check the routing table, I have 4 routes, one to each of
> the respective subnets for each port, and a default via the
> internet port. These routes are apparently working as expected
> in that packets are finding their way to the internet and back.
>
> It seems either my troubleshooting process is broken, or
> something unexpected (to me) is happening in that routing
> process.  Can anyone drop me a clue?

I don't know why your -t mangle rules are not logging, but that
seems to have distracted your troubleshooting with the false idea
about the routing decision quietly eating your packets. Again,
filter/FORWARD is the place you want to be.
--
  http://rob0.nodns4.us/