Re: [ANNOUNCE]: Release of nftables 0.099

On 21/01/14 at 12:32, Patrick McHardy wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 21, 2014 at 01:24:06PM +0100, Andreas Herz wrote:

> > > Currently we don't support timeouts and also don't support dynamically
> > > adding members to sets, though the last part would be pretty easy to
> > > implement.
> >
> > Thanks for the info.
> >
> > > Timeouts shouldn't be that hard as well, but I would need to think about
> > > this some more, I'd prefer not to add struct timer_lists everywhere.
> >
> > That sounds like it rather won't come into nftables code. So what would
> > be the suggestion?
>
> I'm not saying this, I merely want to check how do so this with as little
> waste as possible. Some possibilities are:

So it's better to just wait some time to see how it will go on :) That's
fine, too.

> - add a new set feature flag and only implement it for those types. Downside
>   is code duplication.
>
> - somehow trigger removal from outside the set. Downside is memory waste
>   since we'd need to store the elements twice.
>
> - use dynamic sized structures and add the timer at the end. Problem is that
>   we're in some cases already using optional members at the end, so it would
>   complicate the code a bit.

I see that all three possibilities are far from perfect :/

> > Or asking more specific, what would be the suggested way to add special
> > features needed for some scenarios?
> > For example, how would you port modules like portscan or others from
> > xtables-addons to nftables.
> > Integrate it or port it to be used as a addon.
>
> The preferred way would be to indentify the required primitives and build
> it from a set of lower level expressions if possible. An alternative would
> be to use the compat expression or just add a native portscan expression.

Is there more information available for the compat expression or how top
add such a native expression (or at least planned, since it's quite
early and i can understand that there are other major issues first)?