Re: Wrong routing when combining ip rule with SNAT

Hey Nokolaus,

it really depends on the vpn tunnel software.
Some adds another interface per each session and others know that the
vpn is for a specific subnet.
>From the kernel point of view since there is an endpoint to the tunnel
there should be a route either detected automatically by the kernel or
added when creating the tunnel device like in openvpn case.

the basic issue is not tunneling non-VPN connections to the VPN node
since most of the nodes should be routed by a single GW host that can
have a keep-alived or any other method to just verify that this host is
indeed up and running to prevent network outage.

A basic network setup should have on GW and only one.

If you do have a loaded network in hands make sure you study a bit first
on network infrastructure maintenance and not just "by the book" but
also hands-on experience that will give you much more power in hands
when handling a small blinking light.

In pptpd it works in another way which in not stricktly routing but also
masquerading in many cases unless you are using a default route and also
a range of dedicated addreses.
the basic setup should be in many cases:
gw <--<>--> network.

the GW has access to the network and also to the internet or any
external network.
when the network only GW is also the VPN server and NAT(MASQUERADE) all
other issues are smaller to handle.
Install a GW once or twice and you will see how that magic of the kernel
works fine.
the only main rule in this case that should be on is the MAQUERADE on
the external interface and the allow rules for the VPN.
Else then that just be creative on how much access you need to the network.
monowall was a nice firewall but pfsense is a much more sensible
solution for most networks.

If you want to use strictly Linux and not any BSD OpenSUSE, CentOS,
UBUNTU are great options but depends on your clients you will need to
choose the Distro.

(if you need more help just ask)

Eliezer