DNAT on loopback

Good day folks!

Is it possible to DNAT locally-originated, locally-destined packets to a
non-local destination?

The use-case is port forwarding to a locally-routed VM guest.
For externally originating access the following is adequate:

iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -d external.iface.ip -p tcp --dport 80 -j DNAT --to-destination target.ip.add.ress

A logical complement for locally originating accesses would have been:

iptables -t nat -A OUTPUT     -d 127.0.0.0/16      -p tcp --dport 80 -j DNAT --to-destination target.ip.add.ress

..but all I can observe is silent packet disappearance, which I presume
takes place during routing decision-making immediately following the
processing by the OUTPUT chain of the nat table.

So, is it possible at all, or should I go the userspace port forwarding way?

regards,
Samium Gromoff