ipset - understanding hash size and maxelem

Hello everybody,

at the momemt I'm setting up iptables/ip6tables rule sets based on
ipset (on Ubuntu 12.04, using repo packages). As set type I use hash:net
to handle networks and single IPs.

Is there a direct relation between the hash size and maxelem parameter?

When using maxelem on creation of a set this value simply limits the
number of entries that can be added, right?

maxelem parameter does not depend on the netmask used for a certain
entry, right?

Should I only specify hash size parameter if I know that my set will
hold few entries? If I understood man page correctly, the hash
size grows dynamically by doubling its size (somehow) if needed.

Best regards
Vladimir