Re: Netfilter applied to specific interfaces only

On Friday 2013-03-08 20:14, Jim Mellander wrote:

>In the HPC world, and in network intrusion detection, network
>performance is paramount.  We've found that just having the iptables
>kernel module loaded without any ruleset substantially reduces
>performance at high traffic rates.

This one is a known issue with ip_tables/x_tables, and solved in
xtables2 where you can deallocate the base chains when empty -- (more
accurately, they do not exist by default and need to be created first)
-- given finer control over what is being executed.

>Disabling IPTables (and unloading the associated kernel modules)
>seemed to significantly improve performance, but running with IPTables
>disabled in production is undesirable.
>
>Typically, we have interfaces that are external facing that we would
>like to run IPtables on, but the internal interfaces which are just
>for internal cluster communications must run as fast as possible.

Netfilter hooks only run on selected protocols, so at least
the special protocols InfiniBand and what-have-you are unaffected.

Assuming though that you are talking about plain Ethernet protocols:
testing for an interface will be the one costly operation
that all packets have to muster. I suppose the only way to get
around this are network namespaces, as hooks are per netns.
But netns itself probably brings you some new caveats.

Jan