Re: state match is obsolete 1.4.17

On Tue, 15 Jan 2013, Victor Julien wrote:

> On 01/15/2013 10:11 AM, Jan Engelhardt wrote:
> >
> > On Tuesday 2013-01-15 06:09, Nick Edwards wrote:
> >
> >> WARNING: The state match is obsolete. Use conntrack instead.
> >>
> >> Getting these errors since upgrading to 1.4.17
> >
> > It is a warning, not an error. (An error would not let use you
> > the command at all.)
> >
> >> Am I right in assuming that :
> >> iptables -A INPUT -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT
> >> must now become :
> >> iptables -A INPUT -m conntrack --ctstate ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT
> >> or does that not do the same thing?
> >
> > state is a redundant subset of conntrack (the latter was introduced around
> > Linux 2.5.32) and shall go away.
>
> I think removing it is a bad idea. For years and years all docs, books,
> tutorials and frontends (like my own) have worked with "state". The
> change seems so trivial "s/-m state --state/-m conntrack --ctstate/g"
> that it would appear keeping "state" around as an alias or compatibility
> layer would require minimal effort. Why not keep it around?

Actually, I have to agree. Why don't we keep "state" as an alias and
accept the old syntax in "conntrack"?

What's the compelling reason to break countless scripts?

Best regards,
Jozsef
-
E-mail  : kadlec@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, kadlecsik.jozsef@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Address : Wigner Research Centre for Physics, Hungarian Academy of Sciences
          H-1525 Budapest 114, POB. 49, Hungary