Mark traffic on one machine, match on another machine?

Is there a way to mark traffic on one machine (proxy server) and match the mark on another machine (router)?

I want to shape web traffic differently depending, for example, on the requested domain. Our proxy server already knows about criteria like the requested domain, and our router already does traffic shaping, but the proxy and the router are on two separate machines. Is there a way to mark traffic on one machine and match the mark on another machine? so I can classify traffic on the proxy server and shape it on the router?