Explanation about RATEEST interval and ewmalog

Hi

What is --rateest-interval and --rateest-ewmalog?

       --rateest-interval amount{s|ms|us}
Rate measurement interval, in seconds, milliseconds or microseconds.

       --rateest-ewmalog value
              Rate measurement averaging time constant.

I'm using interval 1.0s and ewmalog 2.0s but I don't understand how these parameters works together.

Any further explanation?