Re: Status of iptables target support in ipset

On Wed, 7 Nov 2012, Jozsef Kadlecsik wrote:

> On Wed, 7 Nov 2012, Eliezer Croitoru wrote:
>
> > On 11/7/2012 10:51 PM, Jozsef Kadlecsik wrote:
> > > No, the idea is to add targets per set entry. I.e.
> > >
> > > ipset add foo 192.168.1.1 -t filter -A FORWARD -j LOG --log-prefix foo
> > > ipset add foo 192.168.1.2 -t filter -A FORWARD -j LOG --log-prefix bar
> > >
> > hoo now I understand.
> > but ipset was meant to be a "set match", no?
> > In iptables it's a module that match a rule if it matches a set...
> > it's kind of confusing from iptables idea point of view for me.
>
> The SET target then would be extended as a "match and return the result of
> the target(s) belonging to the element":
>
> iptables -A FORWARD -j SET --match-set foo dst

Sounds very interesting to me!

We currently have long chains with in principle:

	-d a.b.c.d -j MARK --set-mark 0x4711
	-d a.b.c.e -j MARK --set-mark 0x4712
and in a seperate chain
	-s a.b.c.d -j MARK --set-mark 0x4711
	-s a.b.c.e -j MARK --set-mark 0x4712

sorting users into tc shaping queues, one queue per user to limit him to
his personal bandwidth limit (limit not shared with other users). With
sometimes 200-400 users it hurts quite a bit. Creating sub-chains helped,
but it is still bad, and did not make the iptables-restore input
generating easier.

An ipset support with targets sounds very nice!

Looking forward to it,

c'ya
sven-haegar

--
Three may keep a secret, if two of them are dead.
- Ben F.