How to enable "bytes=" output in "conntrack -L" output

Hi,

I've been using /proc/net/ip_conntrack two years ago to do some rough
measurements of IP traffic. As this feature seems to be gone in recent
kernels, I've looked into replacements and found "conntrack" from
conntrack-tools.

Looking at the manual, I can see that the "bytes=" output is there in
the examples:
http://conntrack-tools.netfilter.org/manual.html

However, on my machine when running "conntrack -L" (as root), I do get
output, but without the "bytes=" part:

tcp      6 ZZZZ ESTABLISHED src=X.X.X.X dst=Y.Y.Y.Y sport=XXX
dport=YYY src=X.X.X.X dst=Y.Y.Y.Y sport=XXX dport=YYY [ASSURED] mark=0
use=1

As you can see, there is no bytes= or packets= count in the output
(compared to the example of the conntrack-tools manual and old
/proc/net/ip_conntrack output).

The following kernel modules are loaded (as described in the manual):
nf_conntrack nf_conntrack_ipv4 nf_conntrack_netlink
I'm using a stock Ubuntu 12.10 kernel (3.5.0-17-generic). The version
of the "conntrack" package is 1:1.2.1-1ubuntu1 (also from the Ubuntu
12.10 repos).

What do I need to do/configure to get the bytes= and packets= count
output in "conntrack -L"?

Thanks,
Thomas