Re: Double stack IPv4&&IPv6 for a firewall

On Friday 2012-08-24 23:12, Arturo Borrero wrote:

>DNS lookups are a problem in a big ruleset (~10.000) rules, so the point is
>to do some kind of local cache.

So run a local BIND server, lwresd, dnsmasq, nscd, or whatever.

>As I supposed, the doble stack method is not being well aproached yet.

What isn't?

>The code (bash) is here:
>https://github.com/aborrero/fw-admin

sh is amongst the *slowest* of all. Your README.md says

>You usally set your ruleset in this way:
>
>$IPT -A INPUT -i $IF -s $INTERNET -d $MYSERVER -p tcp --sport 1024: --dport
>$SSH_PORT -j ACCEPT

If you begin with something like this, no wonder it's all going slow,
because you are needlessy reloading all the damn rules.
That's why smart people use iptables-restore.

Also, the --sport 1024: is pretty dull, because there is no RFC
that forbids the use of numbers lower than that.

>Also, fw-admin is just a complex bash script

Its greatest problem, btw.