Re: -f option used with iptables

On Monday 06 of August 2012 20:00EN, rahul shrivastava wrote:

> my objective is to drop all fragmented packets on my system
> following rules are used

Not a good idea, IMHO.

> iptables -A INPUT -f -j DROP
> iptables -A OUTPUT -f -j DROP
> iptables -A FORWARD -f -j DROP

This doesn't drop every fragmented packet, only second and further
fragments. Thus the first fragment passes through, waits in a queue
until it times out (30 seconds on my system) and then causes a
"fragmentation timeout exceeded" ICMP message.

> i am using ping -s 32768 10.2.2.2 for generating fragments

You should at least tell where are the rules from above set. On the
system sending the packets, on the system receiving the packets or
somewhere between them? Also don't forget to mention the kernel version.

                                                      Michal Kubeček