Re: iptables and vlan tagging

On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 05:04:15PM +1000, Nikolai Lusan wrote:
> Hi,
> I have a 2 vlans, 1 untagged with private IP's (vlan1) and 1 tagged
> (vlan2) with non-private IP addresses, and I want to remove the vlan
> tags before sending vlan2 packets out over my internet link and add them
> back before sending packets from the internet to vlan2. Should this be
> done in the iptbales mangle table? or do I need to use ebtables? And
> exactly how should I go doing this?

I'm not really sure to understand your question. Viewing the commands
you used to set this up would certainly help.

anyway, assuming you configured this with iproute: eg:
ip link add link eth0 eth0.10 type vlan id 10

Then the tagging depends on your routing:
   * If it has to go out from eth0.10 -> tagging
   * If it has to go out from eth0 -> no tagging

HTH