lost interface ID snmp

Hello, I have a CentOS 5.4 Linux machine and I'm monitoring by snmp it
interfaces ethernet. but, when the machine  is restart ID number snmp
that's interfaces are change.

for exemplo when the linux machine is with ID 3 on interface eth1 and
it is reset so it come up with a different ID for exemplo 2 for eth1.

so I wonder why happen ? it's normal ? it's possible set a ID value
for every interface ?

if is change the ID number for each interface so stop my monitoring
because my snmp software read by interface ID.

thanks