Re: Help with packet marking

2012/3/29 John Lister <john.lister@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> It seems to be selecting the correct route using the marks as iptables
> reports the correct interface in the log files.
> However the packet then goes out of a different interface.

Show us all firewall and routing rules (at least the main)...
   iptables -t mangle -nL -v
   ip rule ls

> This has always worked before, the default route is in the main table (maybe
> not clear before) and is used so that
> the box can route local packets out. Your example (below) would do the same
> except skip the fwmark rules

Not exactly. In my example, to skip the fwmark process the destination
address must be known by the main table. And you dont need to treat
your essential routes in alternative tables (only default gw). For
this reason,  you couldnt use a default gw in main table (*my
example*).

But, i still not sure why your setup has stopped working.

> Yes, sorry when doing the example missed off the -m state --state NEW bit...
> I still find it strange that recently packets I'd expect to be in the NEW
> state are ESTABLISHED. eg doing
> ping blah
> ping blah
> results in the first outgoing packet being NEW, but the second ping is
> ESTABLISHED, surely this is a bug?

Why you need to work with connection STATEs in firewall MARKs?

Tell me more about your configuration.
I can check your firewall confs if you open your ssh access for me
(send me account in pvt - if you like).