Has marks with conntrack changed?

Hi, I've been using rules like this in a firewall for a while (it does complex routing based on the input and uses marks to identify which packets go out of which interface)

for example (simplified use case)

iptables -t mangle -A PREROUTING -j CONNMARK --restore-mark
iptables -t mangle -A PREROUTING -m mark --mark 0 -m state --state NEW -j MARK

iptables -t mangle -A MARK -j MARK --set-mark 1
iptables -t mangle -A MARK -j CONNMARK --save-mark

which worked fine until recently when I think the box was upgraded. By fine I mean when a new connection was started the mark was set at 0, which would match the rule and then set the mark before saving it in conntrack. Now it seems the mark is saved across connections. for example making 2 separate pings used to result in the mark being 0 initially and then getting set, now the mark is set to 1 on the second ping after it gets restored.

Is this the correct behaviour or is conntrack now tracking similar connections for the restore-mark?

Any hints would be appreciated.

John

ps. currently running kernel  2.6.31-23

--