Re: High ksoftirqd CPU load, high latency

Hello,

On 02/03/2012 09:51, Roberto Suarez Soto wrote:
     we've got a load problem in a firewall we administer, and we
believe it could be related to iptables. But we don't know for sure, and
don't know either how to confirm or deny it. I'm quite at a loss, and
would like to get the list's opinion/ideas/voodoo magic/hints on the
issue. Thanks in advance!

     The symptoms are:

     - High ksoftirqd load in one CPU (the one assigned to the LAN
ethernet's IRQ)

For this issue, I've found that irqbalance works wonders. I recommend using version 1.0 or greater and running it as a daemon. To get the best out of it, I'd also recommend building a kernel with the following patch.

http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commit;h=da8d1c8

The patch should apply cleanly to the 2.6.32 series. Here's an explanation as to why the patch is useful:-

https://code.google.com/p/irqbalance/source/detail?r=32a7757a0314

You can look at /proc/interrupts to determine whether your card supports multiqueue and is exposing distinct interrupts per tx/rx queue.

Cheers,

--Kerin