Re: Proper ipset userspace version for 3.0.X longterm kernel

On Fri, 17 Feb 2012, Andreas Herz wrote:

> i have a linux setup with the longterm kernel 3.0.X and i want to use
> ipset. What i want to know is, what ipset 6.X version is the proper to
> use with the 3.0.X kernel?
> I saw several patches up to 2011-06-05 that are in the kernel. Then i
> compared the kernelspace code from the kernel from kernel.org with the
> ipset files from the ipset/netfilter page. I found out that version 6.3
> has the fewest of all differences.

The kernel tree is a little behind the ipset development, the most recent
3.x kernel (not 3.0.x) is around ipset 6.9.1.

> To be more precisely, i have 3.0.X ipset kernelspace and i want to know
> which version i have to download and build to have the proper userspace
> part. I had ipset 6.9.1 installed, worked fine but for example when i
> tried to do "ipset create foobar hash:net,iface" the process was dead
> and not killable. This one is clear, cause hash:net,iface is not part of
> the kernelspace part in 3.0.X.

That's a bug in the ipset userspace tool then and I'll look into it: the
program should have reported that the type was unsupported by the kernel.

> So is 6.3 the right ipset userspace version? And if yes, then why are
> there still so many diffs like the "u32 flags" that are missing in 3.0.X
> in the set files but are integrated in 6.3.
>
> Or do you suggest to avoid the ipset kernelspace part from the 3.0.X
> kernel and use the ipset for both, kernel- and userspace, from the
> website?

I suggest you to use both the kernel and userspace from the ipset package
if you want to use the 3.0.x kernel tree.

Best regards,
Jozsef
-
E-mail  : kadlec@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, kadlecsik.jozsef@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Address : Wigner Research Centre for Physics, Hungarian Academy of Sciences
          H-1525 Budapest 114, POB. 49, Hungary