Re: kernel helper modules parameters

Is this wording compatible enough with non-developers? :)
Well, actually, I *am* a developer! As I already pointed out, it is just that I am not that knowledgeable of the inner workings of netfilter (yet!).

+	    { NULL, ENOENT, "An object was not found. Check that the chain, "
"Object not found" perhaps?

+	                    "target/match extension, and/or per-extension "
+	                    "named object exists. Look at `dmesg` for "
+	                    "reports about the latter." },
In some circumstances (well, at least in my case anyway) the same message is also shown in the syslog, so you might want to add this as well - just in case you have somebody screaming in your ear why that wasn't included/provisioned or why is it that they "can't see anything in dmesg".

With CT, this now looks moot to me like it does to you, since packets can now be assigned via the awesome iptables logic, and the nf_conntrack_tuple inside struct nf_conntrack_helper basically goes unused.
Yep, I agree - force-inclusion of the protocol seems unnecessary, particularly when you take into account that in the future there could be more helpers implementing variety of protocols (not just tcp/udp) and, as it stands, I have to create a separate statement for each - doesn't really make sense when ipset can handle this quite easily.

Let's hear what Pablo (cc'd) has to say.
I am all ears!

1. Using the "FORWARD" chain in filter as well as specifying "RELATED" and helper name matches; 2. Using the PREROUTING/OUTPUT chain in raw by specifying the CT target with a helper name match (this is what I used in my examples up to now).

Are the two methods above interchangeable (i.e. use one or the other, but not both) or should I configure both (in which case I haven't tried my ipset trick using the first scenario!)? In that file there is no indication whether I should use one or the other (or both!).

If I have to use the first method above as well, why is the "FORWARD" chain used (at least in the examples given in that article)? If I want to set up a helper on outgoing packets then using the OUTPUT chain in filter seems to be the best solution.

I also take it either of the above methods is the preferred option instead of using modprobe (and force the loading of that helper module). Am I correct in thinking that?
Any opinion on this?