Re: [ANNOUNCE] ipset 6.11 released

On Sun, 15 Jan 2012, Mr Dash Four wrote:

> > Your request means a third mode, which could lead to even more confusion,
> > because that way one could not check whether the tested address as
> > *element* is added to the set or not.
> >
> This is not a feature request, it is a bug fix!
>
> If ipset, for whatever reason, can't (or won't) handle ip range for match
> testing, then such requests should be discarded with the appropriate error or
> warning message on the console given by the ipset binary, or, the appropriate
> functionality should be implemented so that such test matches give the right
> result.

ipset is a tool to build up so called sets inside the Linux kernel. The
sets have any use in the kernel side only and there the kernel matches
single IP addresses and never whole networks.

But if you say so, let it be a bug. Won't be fixed in the near future,
however, as it has got a very low priority.

> Not to mention that the above bug is a clear *regression* as the v4.x
> version of the ipset binary was able, for whatever reason , to produce
> matches - successfully - using ip ranges like the one I used as an
> example in my initial post.

The single set type in v4.x which incidentally had the feature you are
missing was the iptreemap type alone. The *hash set types in ipset 4.x
behaved exactly the same way as the current ones (ignoring the fact that
the 4.x versions had more limitations and less functionality than the
successor hash:* types in ipset 6.x).

Best regards,
Jozsef
-
E-mail  : kadlec@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, kadlecsik.jozsef@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Address : Wigner Research Centre for Physics, Hungarian Academy of Sciences
          H-1525 Budapest 114, POB. 49, Hungary