Re: Replacing firewall issues

On 12-01-09 11:28 PM, Rob Sterenborg (lists) wrote:
Hi,

I'm having trouble replacing an old server (CentOS 5) for a new one
(CentOS 6). The layout is basically like this:

+------+   +-----+   +----------+   DMZ   |---
| INET |---| RTR |---| Firewall |---------|
+------+   +-----+   +----------+         |---
                                           .
                                           .(etc)
                                           |---

When I'm testing the firewall with an unused public and private IP
address and a server in the DMZ, I can successfully NAT packets
from/to it. So, IMO there should be no issues.

However, when we shutdown the switch ports from the old firewall, put
the current public and private IP addresses from the old firewall on the
new one and have arp caches of neighbors cleared, then forwarding breaks
in some way.

What I'm seeing is that:
- When a new connection is setup to a webserver in the DMZ, packets
arrive at the internet NIC, but don't get forwarded to the webserver in
the DMZ.
- When I'm trying to, say, ping a host on the internet, I see the
packets arrive at the DMZ NIC, forwarded to the internet host, the reply
packets arrives at the internet NIC, and doesn't get forwarded back to
the DMZ host.
- I get ping replies when I ping from the new firewall to the server(s)
in the DMZ. (That is: I get replies, and I'm supposing it from the
servers I ping..)

Then we've put this setup in separate VLAN's so we could mimic the
situation in a test environment. Everything we tested worked just fine
in there right away, so it's impossible to troubleshoot.

This makes me believe there's something about the setup in production
that creates this behavior. I unfortunately forgot to clone the MAC
addresses from the current server to the new one: could it still be
something with the MAC addressess, although AFAIK we cleared all arp
caches that should be?

Any input of what can be wrong is welcome.
Thanks in advance!

--
Rob

Hey,

you mentioned clearing arp after the changes however did you verify that no stale arp entries remain? also, what did your mac address table / cam table show?

it sounds much like layer 2 mac/arp buildup issue

-Payam