Re: Routing for multiple uplinks/providers

On 01/01/2012 16:30, Lloyd Standish wrote:
On Thu, 29 Dec 2011 11:21:52 -0600, Lloyd Standish <lloyd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Suppose a router has 2 outward-facing interfaces (uplinks) and a LAN (3 interfaces). The LAN addresses are SNAT'd over the 2 outward interface addresses (WANs).

<snip>
How to ensure that answers to incoming requests are routed out over the correct interface? This lartc page (http://lartc.org/howto/lartc.rpdb.multiple-links.html) appears to indicate that all that is necessary are rules like these (there is a diagram in that page):
ip rule add from $IP1 table T1
ip rule add from $IP2 table T2
where $IP1 and $IP2 are the WAN addresses of each of 2 outward-facing interfaces. The page says, "It will work for all processes running on the router itself, and for the local network, if it is masqueraded." I don't understand this. In the first place, how does SNAT know about what interface the packet we are replying to came from? That was a *previous* packet.

I think I can answer my own question, "for the record."

It turns out that SNAT *is* stateful, according to the following tutorial (http://bec.at/support/iptables-tutorial/x4679.html):

"Only the first packet in a connection is mangled by SNAT, and after that all future packets using the same connection will also be SNATted. Furthermore, the initial rules in the POSTROUTING chain will be applied to all the packets in the same stream."

So SNAT keeps connection-level state information, allowing it to write in the correct source address for all ESTABLISHED,RELATED packets belonging to a connection. That explains why a rule like

ip rule add from $IP1 table T1  (where $IP1 is our interface address)

would be routed via the right table, in a situation where there are multiple uplinks (multiple routing tables).

I believe also routes are cached per IP, so I guess it might accidentally persist beyond even individual streams (assuming to/from same IPs)

I think this is why for "perfect" load balancing and routing robustness it's considered "best" to mark connections and use some randomness to route connections to outbound interfaces? I'm out of my depth here though so ask a grown-up to confirm that...

Ed W