Re: can't set default route for virtual interface

On 28/12/2011 11:21 p.m., Andrew Beverley wrote:
On Tue, 2011-12-27 at 23:36 -0600, Lloyd Standish wrote:
Have you tried *not* using ifconfig to set up your interfaces? You
should only be using iproute2.
I've seen that mentioned before, and I'm confused.  iproute2 means, for
  firewall code, "ip" and "tc" - is that right?
Yes, and "ip" can do everything that all the various net-tools commands
do.

   I usually bring up interfaces with "ifup" when I can
Ah, therein lies an interesting situation. ifup is pretty old too, and
makes calls to the ifconfig command, which is a real pain. However,
unless someone tells me otherwise, I'm not aware of a replacement for
it.

That would be ...

  ip link set dev eth0 up
  ip link set dev eth0 down