Re: Filtering on bridges

On 22/12/11 16:28, Jan Engelhardt wrote:

So at the moment, the only way I can think of doing the filtering is to allow
the packet to run through *all* the iptables rules without matching the
physical output NIC and set one bit of the fwmark for each physical interface I
would let the packet egress.  Then in ebtables (where we know the physical
interface) filter the packets by looking at the fwmark bit that I've used to
indicate that interface. This method is pretty unscalable (fwmark is 32
bits)

As for filtering, which I had gathered was what you wanted, you could
set the fwmark to indicate drop-or-not-drop (rather than a bit for each
interface).

Nope, can't do that - the iptables rules aren't going to know whether the packet needs to be dropped or not since it doesn't know which physical NIC it will egress - each NIC has its own (different) set of filtering rules, so without knowing the NIC, iptables won't know which set of filtering rules to apply and therefore whether the packet is to be dropped or not.

--

 - Steve Hill
   Technical Director

Direct contacts: