Is the current firewall model static?

Hi there,

Fedora is running a project called firewalld. Firewalld manages the firewall
dynamically via D-BUS
(http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FirewallD/#Why_A_Firewall_Daemon). They say:
"the current firewall model is static and **every** change requires a
complete firewall restart. This includes also to unload the firewall
netfilter kernel modules and to load the modules that are needed for the new
configuration."

I would be very surprised if their claim is true. Because that would break
statefull connections when changing the rules. I'm not familiar with the
code so I can't comment on that. Hence my question. Is the current firewall
model static?

Best regards,

-Hansa