Re: prio + policing filter on ingress?

On Tue, 2011-12-13 at 17:53 -0500, John A. Sullivan III wrote:
> > > Now, my friend wants to be able to make personal use of the UNUSED
> > >  bandwidth without infringing on his customers' paid bandwidth.  So I
> > >  got the idea of putting all traffic to his IP (192.168.0.5 in my
> > >  example) into band 3 of a prio qdisc.
> >
> > For you to do *exactly* what you describe, I think you'd have to use the
> > prio qdisc. And as you have found, it's quite limited. You could attach
> > a TBF qdisc to each leaf class to rate limit, but as you have already
> > alluded, this would not give an overall rate limit.

Well according to a question just posted to the (new) LARTC mailing
list, you can use HTB with a prio attached to one of the leafs. You
could try that. I.e. have a single HTB leaf, with a prio below it. The
HTB leaf will throttle your traffic, but I guess that the prio will
allow any demand on that throttled link to be prioritised, which will
then draw on the class above it as appropriate. Something like:

tc qdisc add dev ifb0 root handle 1 htb default 5000 r2q 6
tc class add dev ifb0 parent 1: classid 1:3 htb rate 100Mbit
tc qdisc add dev ifb0 parent 1:3 handle 5000 prio

> <snip>
> HFSC might not be a bad idea for you.  I'm still trying to get my head
> around it

Ah yes, I've noticed the questions on the netdev list. Thanks for that -
I just need to spend some time reading through the details now!

Andy