[nfqueue] nfqueue in virtualized environment (ie. on a VPS)

I need to use, in a virtual environment (VPS), an app
that makes use of libnetfilter_queue (ie. the NFQUEUE target of iptables).
Running the same app on the host machine works fine,
but I need it to run also on VPSes.

Is nfqueue supposed to work in such virtual environments?
(IMO since iptables works fine on a VPS, then I think nfqueue should do too, isn't it?)

I wonder why it's not working on my setup.
Could someone please give me some hints & tips for diagnosing and solving this problem?
It would be much helpful if someone who has it working simply confirm that it works.

My environment: debian wheezy using openvz kernel from the debian repo:
# uname -a
Linux s7 2.6.32-5-openvz-amd64 #1 SMP Fri Sep 9 21:03:29 UTC 2011 x86_64 GNU/Linux

# iptables --version
iptables v1.4.12

Libs installed:
# dpkg -l | grep nfnet
   libnfnetlink-dev        1.0.0-1    Development files for libnfnetlink0
   libnfnetlink0           1.0.0-1    Netfilter netlink library
# dpkg -l | grep queue
   libnetfilter-queue-dev  0.0.17-1   Development files for libnetfilter-queue1
   libnetfilter-queue1     0.0.17-1   Netfilter netlink-queue library

NFQUEUE definition in iptables script:
 iptables -A INPUT -p all -j NFQUEUE --queue-num 4712

App output:
  opening library handle
  binding nfnetlink_queue as nf_queue handler for AF_INET
  error during nfq_bind_pf()

Thx