Re: PortalShaper - details of scripts for a captive portal and traffic shaper

Andrew Beverley wrote:
Hi all,

I'm posting this for people's interest, in case it is of use to anybody.

I have created a set of scripts (called PortalShaper) to do the
following:

   * Traffic shape the internet connection to optimise its speed

Just looking at this bit.

Generally, I think doing Qos on low bandwidth lines is in need of tweaking on a per case basis, depending on requirements and the usage patterns of the users.

I've only ever played with my home dsl and go for game latency as top prio, with any bulk traffic of whatever nature easily classified.

So the points below really apply just to my personal experience - for other use the script looks fine and is as good as any. None are going to be perfect without tweaking for individual cases and getting a lot of users sharing low bandwidth dsl is never going to be nice.

Random observations.

I've never used squid, but it looks like it is exempt from shaping.

You could tweak things so you don't have to back off more than a few kbit/s on upstream and it wouldn't fail if there were lots of small packets. I can't say from personal use because I do it with patched TC, but it is possible to specify atm and an overhead with htb and tc will use the atm size of the packets. The reason I don't use it is that I shape for pppoa vc mux on an eth interface and tc on eth sees packets as iplen + 14 so I would need a negative overhead. For ppp tc sees ip length. It's tricky for a general script, of course, because you need to know exactly the overhead to use which is different for different ppps and shaping interfaces.

On bulk btb classes I found it best for latency to set burst and cburst to 10 - effectively off (can't remember why I didn't use 1 - I know 0 didn't work).

To get the best possible latency with htb it's best to allocate way more bandwidth than the class needs and set big bursts, this is not so good if your classification fails though.