Re: How to insert a firewall with "gateway spoofing"?

---- >8 snip

> For some complicated reasons, I can't change the subnet address of the
> LAN, nor can I change the default gateway for the systems in the LAN.
> And since I can't reconf the Router, I have to "spoof" the router.
>
> Is it doable just with iptables and iproute2? Or do I have to also go
> down the route of ebtables?
>
> And if it is doable, what caveats must I be aware of?
>
> Thanks in advance.

Some intense research, and I think I might've found the answer:

*) Configure the Linux box with, say, 192.168.0.3
*) Manipulate the routing table
*) Activate proxy_arp
*) Write some arptables rules to discard arp requests for 192.168.0.x
(where x != 1 and x != 3)
*) Write some iptables rules to perform firewalling
*) Activate ip_forward

Reference: http://www.sjdjweis.com/linux/proxyarp/

Do you think this plan will work?

Rgds,