Re: limit module timer precision issue

On Thursday 13 of October 2011, Jan Engelhardt wrote:
> >Not exactly. With "--limit-burst 1", no more than one packet per
> >jiffy can pass the test. You may have only 30 NEW packets per
> >second but it doesn't mean one packet every 1/30 s. And if there
> >are two (or more) NEW packets within one jiffy, only the first
> >passes the first rule.
>
> One packet per time quantum (which is 1 second here, not 1 jiffy).

I don't think so. With "--limit 2000/s --limit-burst 1" I can pass much
more than one packet per second (but no more than 1000 per second with
HZ=1000).

In fact, kernel doesn't even get this information, it works only with
rate and it gets exactly the same value from iptables command with e.g.
'3600/h', '60/m' and '1/s'.

                                                         Michal Kubeček