Re: Question about using SSH-tunnel / Frage zum Benutzen eines SSH-Tunnels

On Sat, Aug 13, 2011 at 12:13:10AM +0200, J. Zeidler wrote:
Rob said:
> >Read 'man iptables' again and search for REDIRECT.

*Do* this. Do not post again without reading the man page. You were
directed to the specific section you need!

> REDIRECT is a target,
> >not a chain so the above rule is incorrect. Example:
> >
> >$ipt -t nat -A PREROUTING -p tcp -d<dest_ip> -j REDIRECT
> >--to-ports <local_port>

That's the example. It's correct; reread it.

> if i do this, it does not work:
> iptables -A PREROUTING -t nat -p tcp -d 65.18.193.12 --dport 15000 -j
> REDIRECT --to 127.0.0.1:15000

This is NOT like the example!

> answer:
> iptables v1.4.10: REDIRECT: Bad value for "--to-ports" option:
> "127.0.0.1:15000"

Did you read this part? Find REDIRECT in the man page, and then find
the "--to-ports" option.

> Try `iptables -h' or 'iptables --help' for more information.

Did you? "iptables -h -j REDIRECT" gives a syntax summary.

> how can i find out, if a programm uses tcp or udp protocoll for
> connection?

What did you try? I suppose I would look in the program's
documentation, and maybe check Wikipedia.

I'm betting this is all futile, because as noted, SSH tunnels are
only capable of carrying TCP traffic. Furthermore, refer to the
ssh_config(5) man page for the option "GatewayPorts". -j REDIRECT
does not work with a process (such as a SSH tunnel) which is only
bound to 127.0.0.1. (It works, but only with connections from
127.0.0.1.)

The real solution might be had with OpenVPN as suggested upthread, or
in a pinch, you can try something like PPP over SSH. Offer void where
taxed or prohibited by law, or if Google fails to find "PPP over SSH"
examples for you, or if you don't know how to use the tunnel once
it's created.