Re: Promiscuous mode and xtables

Shouldn't I also set the input chain to DROP as well?

Thanks

On 04/08/2011 09:37, Tyler J. Wagner wrote:
If you intend to monitor only, set OUTPUT and FORWARD chains to DROP.
Otherwise you can't firewall. Make sure your monitoring software is up
to date, as vulnerabilities on it will be the biggest issue.

Regards,
Tyler

Jonathan Tripathy<jonnyt@xxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:

     Hi Everyone,

     Currently, I use ebtables and iptables to secure my servers. It would be
     appreciated if someone could please give me some advice on what the best
     settings are for using a network port in promiscuous mode for network
     monitoring *only*. I.e. I do not want any of this traffic to be able to
     access anything on my server.

     Thanks