[2:656]?

Hello list.  I'm in the process of 'modernizing' my iptables scripts to utilize iptables-save/iptables-restore.  I've imported my script onto a test box, have exported via -save, and now I have a question or two about what I'm seeing.

For starters, is there a reference for the changes in format?  Google is most unhelpful when trying to search for "[2:656]", for example.

Specifically, I'd like to know what the "2:656" means in the following line:

-----
*filter
:INPUT DROP [2:656]
-----