Application layer gateway HOWTO?

Greetings. I would like to create an application layer gateway (ALG)
using netfilter. I need to know two things that don't seem to be
obvious from all the FAQs and documentation:

1) An example of the iptables rule needed (I assume using NFQUEUE)

2) A spec for what the userland program needs to be listening for and
sending out.

For example, if I wanted to make a LAN-to-WAN ALG that did something
lame like change the spelling of some HTTP request headers, I would
need t listen on dest port 80 on the LAN interface, grab the traffic,
send it to a program (probably a daemon) that munges the traffic, and
sends it on. What would I need to do this?

--Paul Hoffman