Re: iptables enough to handle brute force attacks?

On Tue, Apr 05, 2011 at 12:02:38PM +0200, Gilles wrote:
> I need to connect an Asterisk server to the Net so that 1) remote
> users can register and 2) Internet users can ring any extension on
> the server.
>
> I'll use iptables to prevent hackers from trying to register.
>
> I was wondering what solution to use to block brute force attempts:
>
> - just rely on iptables since it offers a way, eg. "iptables -I INPUT
> -p udp --dport 5060 -m state --state NEW -m recent --update --seconds
> 600 --hitcount 2 -j DROP"

2 in 600 might be low for --hitcount, high for --seconds. NEW is just
wrong, because attacks will be ESTABLISHED. See also:
    http://www.spinics.net/lists/netfilter/msg49598.html
    http://www.spinics.net/lists/netfilter/msg49660.html
    http://www.spinics.net/lists/netfilter/msg49676.html

My ruleset is working, at least to block the SIP attackers, but I
still don't know if a non-whitelisted Internet SIP user could ring
extensions. From discussion with a SIP expert, I think even my
--hitcount of 9 in 30 or 18 in 45 might still be too low.

But no more log floods, which is good, my main goal.

> - add Brute Force Detection (BFD), which is a shell script that is
> called by CRON (ie. every minute at most)
> www.rfxn.com/projects/brute-force-detection/
>
> - add SSHGuard, which is apparently a stand-alone binary program that
> doesn't rely on CRON
> www.sshguard.net
>
> This is on an embedded Linux, so there isn't enough RAM to run
> Python-based fail2ban.

On an embedded system, I would use a remote syslog server anyway. Let
your log parsing be done on a less-restricted machine, and have it
ssh in and sudo to do what needs to be done.

> If you have installed Asterisk and iptables, which solution did you
> end up using?

But as mentioned in one of the links above, I don't like log parsing
in general. Just experiment with the -m recent rules and try some
calls.