Re: ipset preformance

2011/2/27 Jozsef Kadlecsik <kadlec@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> On Sun, 27 Feb 2011, Anatoly Muliarski wrote:
>
>> I did oprofile test on our router and I found strange things with
>> ipset performance.
>> Using a single check of a nethash set with 3 nets in it consumes 1.88%
>> of CPU, using a single check of an ipportiphash with zero items
>> consumes 3.39% and ip_set module itself  consumes 4.9%.
>> Currently I am using 2.6.25.17 kernel with ipset v2.4.9.
>
> That is a really-really old version of ipset.
>
>> Is it worth to upgrade to ipset v4.5 to resolve this issue?
>
> I believe so. But please note, I stopped the development of the 4.x branch
> and the currently maintained release is 6.x.

I upgraded to ipset v4.5 and got no difference :(
BTW I had to upgrade iptables too as my old v1.4.1 did not work with
set rules. Unfortunately, this fact is not reflected in the manual.
Finally I optimized my iptables rules to exclude unncessary checks and
remove unused sets, BUT the question is open - what is the cause of
losing performance on a simple set check?
Why a lot of other iptables rules do not consume so much CPU time?

Nevertheless I would like to say personally much thanks for your great tool.
It makes a lot of traffic control tasks easier and ever possible.

A one small thing that I was missed( exclude /16 limitation for most
of the set types and a semantic difference between masks 1-31 and mask
32 ) is a possibility of using ipset facilities with not in the
context of a current packet. In other words I was need to store and
use later something like a state.
But it is only a little strange wish that may not be in line of
general development :)

--
Best regards
Anatoly Muliarski