RATEEST explanation

Hello everybody,

I am trying to use RATEEST match to measure pps of certain packets via iptables.
I had a partial success, but I am not sure about the meaning of parameters --rateest-interval
and --rateest-ewmalog values. There is no information in the docs about the algorithm used.

Could you please explain the meaning of these parameters?
And if possible, would you recommend me a proper setup to measure "RATETEST hits per second (pps)" ?

i.e. to use:
iptables -j RATEEST --rateest-name mymeter --rateest-interval xx --rateest-ewma yy

followed by:
iptables -m rateest --rateest1 mymeter --rateest-pps2 1000 --rateest-gt ?j LOG --log-prefix "mymeter is over 1000pps"

Thank you very much.

Sincerely,
Jan Rovner

RATEEST
       The RATEEST target collects statistics, performs rate estimation calcu‐
       lation  and  saves  the  results for later evaluation using the rateest
       match.

       --rateest-name name
              Count matched packets into the pool referred to by  name,  which
              is freely choosable.

       --rateest-interval amount{s|ms|us}
              Rate measurement interval, in seconds, milliseconds or microsec‐
              onds.

       --rateest-ewmalog value
              Rate measurement averaging time constant.