Re: turning off iptables processing for bridged packets

On Sun, Feb 27, 2011 at 03:04:32PM +0000, Alex Bligh wrote:
> By default netfilter appears to apply iptables rules (specifically
> the FORWARD chain) to bridged packets. Is there a way to turn this
> off (i.e. only apply the FORWARD chain to routed packets, not
> bridged ones)? I seem to remember there is, but I can't for the
> life of me find the configuration setting.

I'm not sure if there is a runtime sysctl, but at compile time your
option is CONFIG_BRIDGE_NETFILTER.

If you don't want to compile a new kernel, you could put rules
passing bridge-only traffic at the top of FORWARD:
    -A FORWARD -i br0 -o br0 -j ACCEPT
for example.