Re: IPv6 filtering

On Tuesday 01 February 2011 22:38:49 you wrote:
> With IPv6, does anyone have any experience on how to do this? I know we
> can use ip6tables, but isn't there some trickery with NDP (Which
> replaces ARP)?

There shouldn't be, just as long as you only filter on the source address of
outgoing packets, and not on the destination of incoming ones. The NDP request
packets go to weird multicast addresses that depend on the address being
requested. I haven't totally figured out the scheme yet (haven't really
tried).
Answer packets for NDP always have a valid IPv6 address from the answering
host as their source address. Also, they're IPv6 packets like any other and
not a separate protocol as with ARP+IPv4.

Note that hosts using IPv6 will usually have at least two autoconfigured
addresses, and it's sometimes hard to predict which one will be used as source
address for outgoing packets, especially if the number of configured addresses
grows. You must not block any of those.

Also see my message from yesterday on that subject, please. I'm having
problems with filtering IPv6 from VPSes as well, and if you find a solution
that works with large numbers of vpses, I would appreciate it if you could
share it.

	Guido