Re: Xtables-addons 1.32/ipset-GENL 5.2

I fully appreciate your effort, however with it you forked ipset 5.x and now the two branches cannot talk to each other.

I'm not convinced that ipset should be moved from nfnetlink to genetlink. It'd make life easier for the users at the beginning, however on the longer run it'd buy nothing and I believe ipset belongs to nfnetlink.

I considered the idea of adding support of both protocols, however it might make the acceptance for kernel inclusion harder. I'm not happy.
Jozsef,

I have been thinking along similar lines with regards to ipset/xtables for quite a while - I do not really need or use xtables apart from the ipset part.

Up until now I have been compiling rpm which builds the main xtables package and I also use a sepearate .spec file to create the kernel modules (kmod-*.rpm). The process is by no means flawless (my post history on here vouches that to be the case) so, waiting for ipset to be integrated with xtables every time a new ipset version is released is not always the best for me as a regular user of that package as your comments above highlight.

What I am getting at is this - I will try to create a .spec file for building a completely separate package which only deals with ipset and leaves xtables aside as it is highly likely that I will dump xtables once and for all as soon as I am able to create this package since I do not need/use its features, apart from what ipset currently offers me.

As it stands, Fedora does not distribute ipset on its own, but as part of the xtables package. I do not know whether this is going to change, but as far as I am concerned the moment I am able to build a separate ipset rpm which functions as it should, xtables is gone on all of my machines. I presume ipset, too, generates/uses kernel modules - is that the case?