Re: [ANNOUNCE] ipset-5.0 released

Fair enough. Any idea when ipset 5.2 will be incorporated into xtables so that
I could download it and start testing it? *nudges Jan*

You constantly ignore the difference between xtables and xtables-addons...
You know exactly what I meant.

If I understand you correctly, you keep a separate structure which stores all
prefixes used in the target set, walk through that structure and for each
element you build start-end range based on the IP address captured and the
current prefix. You then create a hash on the calculated start-end range,
protocol and port triple and then test that hash against the hash value of the
target set triple (IP range, protocol, port). Is that how you do it?

No, there's no point to store start-end ranges: the network address and the prefix is stored, which thus require less memory compared to the range.
OK, so you store IP address and then the range. Do you then perform the process as I described above in order to find a match?

I think the culprit is not the set itself, but the SET target as I find it
rather foolish that someone would let an outsider to manipulate a set using
this SET target. For example, if I am an attacker and I know that the target
machine relies on access to certain IP address, then I could craft a packet in
such a way that it triggers this SET target which then includes the IP
address/range in the 'attackers' set and therefore disable access to that
address on the target machine - job done!

Of course, it's absolutely possible. However in order to slow down for example ssh scanning, even short time blocking of the addresses from which scanning is detected can be quite useful.
Anything which manipulates the internal structure from outside is, in my opinion, not a good idea for the reason I mentioned above.

On a separate note, once I've installed ipset 5.2 I am very keen on testing both type of sets (iptreemap and the new hash set) to see what is the performance penalty with the new sets (there will probably be one as your search algorithm is more complex in 5.x and would require more iterations compared with the 4.x type sets).