Re: PREROUTING DNAT *inconsistent* behavior

Alec Matusis a écrit :
>> I would have used DNAT instead to make sure
>> the destination address is not changed.
>
> Instead of REDIRECT, we used:
> -A PREROUTING -d server.ip -p tcp --dport 443 -j DNAT --to-destination
> server.ip:5228
> The result is exactly the same.

Do you mean that REDIRECT did not alter the destination address when it
was different from the primary address on eth0 ?

>> What are the other 5% then ?
>
> They are mostly RST packets from various clients:

Sure, RSTs are sent in reply to the bogus packets from the servers.

>> They are probably packets classified in the INVALID state by the
>> connection tracking, which are ignored by the nat table. In a NAT
>> setup,
>> INVALID packets should be dropped because of this. Now the real
>> question
>> is : why are they classified in the INVALID state ?
>
> How can I verify that  these packets have been classified as in the INVALID
> state? That may be the key to this problem.

As I suggested, DROP packets in the INVALID state. If you don't see them
any more, you'll know.