Re: Bastion Firewall Host Redirect Question

Please don't top-post list replies, thank you.

On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 09:10:04AM -0600, iic1tls wrote:
> Thanks Jonathan, but I can not modify the DNS.  I need an IPTables
> solution.

Perhaps then talk to someone who can? dnsmasq(8) exists for such
situations, and it is very simple to learn and to manage. Your
sysadmin will have no problem with this.

There *is* an iptables solution, but it is suboptimal for several
reasons. That would be to use SNAT and DNAT on the router, for HTTP
connections to the external IP address. The frozentux iptables
tutorial page on DNAT explains this rather well and in full detail.

Note that your httpd logs would show all internal hosts' connections
as coming from the router. The only easy solution to this problem is
the one you have already rejected.

Some nitpicks, from which I think you might benefit:

> > QUESTION
> > Given that clients on the internal network can freely surf the
> > internet: if the clients select a specific web site (ie
> > www.website.com), my goal is to configure IPTables to instead

You should not use real Internet names as examples. If you really
want to use an example name, example.{com,net,org} is reserved, as
well as example.X in many ccTLDs. See RFC 2606.

> > redirect the client to the internal web server.
> >
> > - If the client web browser is going to surf www.website.com,
> > then iptables redirects the client to 149.10.10.25

149.10.0.0/16 has been allocated to nysed.gov (New York State
Education Department). You should not use real Internet IP addresses
that you do not control. If you meant to use an obfuscated example,
see RFC 5737 which designates TEST-NET-[123] blocks to use.

When designing a LAN which will have NAT access to the Internet,
there are three netblocks set aside in RFC 1918: 10/8, 172.16/12, and
192.168/16. That's a lot of room. Even in a large enterprise, with
some planning you will never need to use netblocks outside these
allocated ranges.