How to transfer a IP packet based on ebtables and iptables?

Hi every one,

According to my understanding, if I implement entables on my Linux system, a frame should be passed through ebtables modules. Then, if ebtables modules find the destination mac address of the frame is the local mac address, it will transfer the frame to layer-3, that is iptables, right?

Now I want to do a test, which modifies the destination mac address of a frame before sending it. Therefore, the frame will be forwarded to another destination instead of the real destination, while its destination ip address is still the real destination ip address. In this case, when the frame arrive at pseudo destination machine, will it be transfered to lay-3 of the system? If it is transfered to lqy-3 of the system, the system will find the destination ip address is not local ip address. What will happen next? Drop the packet? or send an arp request to find the real destination mac address and forward it?

Thanks,

Sumin