Re: ClusterIP and MAC NAT

On 10/26/10 09:30, Michele Codutti wrote:
In my opinion a possible solution is to use the existing bridge in front of the pool of clustered IP hosts with some ebtable rules that substitute the multicast MAC address with a forged unicast MAC address for the outgoing packets and substitute the forged unicast MAC address with the multicast one for the incoming packets.

This will work.

The only down side that I'm aware of is the possible single point of failure that the bridge creates.

Other than that (and possible performance issues if the bridge isn't scaled properly) things should work as you want.

Suppose that the multicast MAC address is: 01:02:03:04:05:06 and the ClusterIP address is: 10.0.0.100 Now I forge a unicast MAC address for the ClusterIP: 00:02:03:04:05:06 So the rule for the incoming packets is (taken from http://ebtables.sourceforge.net/examples/basic.html#ex_nat):

Agreed.

I have an install that is dealing with a cranky switch that can't see the same MAC addresses on multiple VLANs where I am doing almost exactly this for 30(ish) VLAN interfaces. It has been in production for five years and working great. (Recently I upgraded the system, carrying the old ARPTables / EBTables / IPTables scripts / configs forward.)

Now the problem is with the arp queries. In need to "NAT" also the queries substituting the mac address also in the payload of the packet not only in the header. Can i do that?

You will need to use ARPTables to help EBTables with the ARP problem. I will go through my backups and see if I can't find an example set of rules for you to gander at.

Here's a +1 on what you are wanting to do can be done and does work. You just need to look at ARPTables to assist with the ARP specific problem.

Grant. . . .