Re: OpenVPN throttling problem

On Tue, 2010-09-07 at 11:25 -0400, J Webster wrote:
> Well, I have openVPN running as a tcp and also as a udp service on the
> server but I am having problems with video stuttering on both connections.
> The streaming is however probably done via tcp.

To clarify, the issue is TCP or UDP connections that
are sent thru the tunnel, not how the OpenVPN
tunnel connection itself. So unless you run UDP services
that transfer data (like NFS over UDP) via the tunnel,
you should have no significant problems with UDP.

BTW, using TCP for tunnelling is considered a
bad idea by some:

http://sites.inka.de/bigred/devel/tcp-tcp.html

> For example, the client
> would access msn video or youtube from their browser, connection then goes
> through the VPN, then to the internet, then back to the VPN, then back to
> the client.

Well fooling geolocation this way only works until the companies in
question start blocking data centers as well as public proxy
services (=>
http://techcrunch.com/2009/05/06/control-freaks-hulu-now-blocks-anonymous-proxies-too/
) but that's not my problem :=)