Re: Need for a specific source address selection rule ? (not neccessarily netfilter)

On Sunday 2010-08-29 14:51, Xavier Roche wrote:
> Jan Engelhardt a écrit :
>> You are confusing incoming with outgoing connections.
>
> Yes, my mistake.
>
>> correct. For the incoming one you bind to [::]:25, for the outgoing
>> one you bind to [2a01::desired]:0. Problem solved.
>
> What would happend for v4 destinations ? Both v4/v6 destinations may exist at
> the same time.

A socket is generally only responsible for a single protocol. In other
words, that makes two sockets, one is [::]:25, the other is 0.0.0.0:25.
Now since IPv6 was designed - as is usual for IETF, resp it working
groups - a bit whacky, there exists the possibility to receive v4
connections on v6... but thank god there is a IPV6_V6ONLY socket option.

> but not to add a specific rule depending on various parameters
> (destination, owner, etc.) at all.

ip route add $(address of google.com) src $(my alternate address)

should do it. IPsec already does so if I am not mistaken.