Re: Bridges

Jonathan Tripathy a écrit :
> On 22/08/10 10:09, Jan Engelhardt wrote:
>>
>> And as previously mentioned, routing does not usually care about addresses,
>> but routes (`ip r`).
>
> I'm sorry I don't really follow. Are you saying that there is no way to
> disable IP forwarding in a Linux box?

No one said that. As we already explained, IP forwarding can be disabled
globally or per interface.

"IP routing" may have different meanings. It can be a synonym for "IP
forwarding", like in "IP routers do IP routing". But in the context of
the Linux IP stack, it rather means the handling of an IP packet
according to the routing table. In short :
- for an incoming packet, determine whether it is for local delivery or
to be forwarded ;
- for an outgoing or forwarded packet, determine the output interface
and gateway.